Different Types of Visas

To identify the type of visa that you need, please check : What type of visa do you need for your stay?

Visas for a stay not exceeding 90 days

Long-stay visas exceeding 90 days

- Long-stay visa for spouse of French national

- Long-stay visa for the spouse of a national of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland

- Long-stay visa for private studies

- Long-stay visa academic/scientific visa

- Student/Scientific dependent

- Long-stay student visa « candidate for competitive examinations »

- Long-stay visa for school pupil

- Long-stay internship visa

- Long-stay visa for au pair students

- Long-stay « visitor » visa

- Long-stay visa for salaried workers

- Long-stay visa for family members of salaried workers

- Long-stay visa for salaried artists under contract

- Long-stay visa for carrying on a commercial/ industrial activity or handicrafts production along with the establishment of a company

- Long-stay visa for carrying on a commercial/ industrial activity or handicrafts production under an already existing company or activity

Special visas
  • Long-stay visa for French overseas departments and regions (DROM) and autonomous regions in the Americas (CTOM) (Saint Barthélémy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Long-stay visa for countries and French autonomous regions (CTOM)

Important note

When you arrive at French immigrations, apart from your valid passport bearing a visa (except nationals qualifying for a visa waiver), you should also be in a position to produce the following:

- supporting documents for your stay in France (if visiting for touristic purposes: hotel reservation, subscription to a package tour, etc.; for professional purposes: attestation letter from employer, invitation letter from a French organisation, etc.; for a private trip: "Attestation d’accueil” issued by the competent French Town Hall and signed by the host who will provide the applicant’s accommodation)

- financial proof of subsistence in France (cash, traveller’s cheques, valid international credit card, etc.
guarantee of return to your country of origin (confirmed air ticket, etc.).


- A Schengen visa does not authorise you to enter a French overseas department or autonomous territory.

- Nationals from a State that is not a Member of the European Union or the European Economic Area, or from Switzerland, irrespective of whether they require a visa to enter the Schengen Area, must mandatorily take a travel medical insurance policy of not less than 30,000 Euros. The policy must cover medical and hospitalisation expenses for the entire period of valid stay on Schengen territory as well as repatriation costs.

Dernière modification : 04/05/2017

top of the page