France Pakistan Joint Security Commission (24 March 2016)
1. Fourth Round of Pakistan – France Joint Security Commision Talks was held in Ministry of Defence, Rawalpindi on 24th March 2016. Lt Gen (Retd) Muhammad Alam Khtaak, Secretary Defence led Pakistan delegation while French delegation was led by Mr. Louis GAUTIER, Secretary General for Defence and National Security.
2. Prior to the holding of the Plenary Session Mr. Louis GAUTIER called on Lt Gen (Retd) Muhammad Alam Khttak in his office during which issues relating to bilateral security cooperation and counter terrorism were discussed. Both the leaders also share sympathies on tragic terrorist attacks in France and Pakistan.
3. During the Plenary Session, both sides deliberated upon various areas of mutual interest including security matters, counter terrorism and prevailing regional environment. In addition, the delegations took stock of the actions that have been undertaken since last Joint Security Commission meeting held in France in January 2014. Both sides discussed the successes achieved by Government of Pakistan through Operation Zarb-e-Azb and National Action Plan. The discussion also focused on possible academic exchanges between the institutions of the two countries on security issues and benefit from each others experiences and capabilities to counter the common threat of terrorism and extremism. French side also offered to share its expertise and best practices on crises management procedures such as natural catastrophe or plane crashes etc. Both sides agreed to deliberate the issue further in upcoming months in Paris.
4. One of the salient features of the Session was the signing of Bilateral Agreement between France and Pakistan which stipulates that France will assist Pakistan in strengthening the capabilities of its Police Force in the area of counter terrorism. This will be implemented through a three-year programme aimed at developing specific police skills, such as scientific and technical assistance; expertise in identifying forged documents; in cybercrime; in civil defence etc.
5. Talks of Joint Security Commission were held in a cordial atmosphere. Delegation leaders shared their resolve to work together for enhanced co-operation in the field of defence and capacity building of Law enforcement agencies. They also agreed that the 5th Round of Pakistan-France Joint Security Commission Talks will take place in France in early 2017.